12.07.2011

Christmas Playlist

I love Christmas music...even more so since I no longer teach choir.  By the time Christmas rolled around, I was already sick of it because we would always begin our Christmas Concert music the first week of October.  These last few years have restored a new love and joy for listening to it all the way through my most favorite holiday. 

I am picky about the music I listen to in general and Christmas music is no exception.  There are a few CDs/tapes that I have worn out during this time of year.  When I was younger it was Amy Grant's A Christmas Album.  I would sing my heart out on the whole tape, singing "Hark the Herald Angel sing, glory to the New York king."  Another childhood favorite was Michael W. Smith's Christmas album. 

Some more recent favorite Christmas CDs include:
Harry Connick, Jr. When My Heart Finds Christmas
Celine Dion These Are Special Times (don't make fun)
Point of Grace A Christmas Story
Sara Groves O Holy Night

I also love classic, old school Christmas music.  My favorite now is my Nat King Cole station on Pandora. 

Even though teaching Christmas music so early may have burnt me out by the time Christmas came, I did learn many new songs that are some of my favorites:
In the Bleak Midwinter
Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep
Candlelight Carol
A Ceremony of Carols by Benjamin Britten
Gesu Bambino
Maria Weigenlied

My current Christmas plalist includes:
1.  I'll Be Home For Christmas, Sarah McClachlan
2.  Adore Him, Kari Jobe
3.  Peace, Peace, Sara Groves
4.  Rockin Around the Christmas Tree, Brenda Lee
5.  Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, Ella Fitzgerald
6.  Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, Andrew Sisters
7.  Joy to the World, Sufjan Stevens
8.  Christmas Time is Here, Vince Guarldi Trio
9.  The Chipmunk Song, The Chipmunks
10. Parade of the Wooden Soldiers, Harry Connick, Jr.
11. Frosty the Snowman, Jimmy Durante
12. Tennessee Christmas, Amy Grant
13. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, Jack Johnson
14. Star of Wonder, Sara Groves
15. We Need a Little Christmas, Percy Faith
16. Ave Maria, Harry Connick, Jr.
17. It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year, Andy Williams
18. O Holy Night, Harry Connick, Jr.
19. My Favorite Things, Tony Bennett
20. A Cradle in Bethlehem, Sara Groves
21. The Christmas Song, Nat King Cole
22. Come On Let's Boogy to the Elf Dance, Sufjan Stevens
23. Silent Night, Sarah McLachlan
24. Santa Baby, Eartha Kitt
25. White Christmas, Ella Fitzgerald

I am in the mood to go Christmas caroling this year.  I want to have an ensemble who can sing in parts a cappella.  Who wants to go? 

No comments:

Post a Comment