3.15.2013

FIAR: Katy and the Big Snow & Snow Fun


This book is about Katy, the snow plow, who saves the day when the entire town is covered with a HUGE snow.  We also did a Winter Unit study by Amanda Bennett to go along with this book.

The week we studied this book started out with warm weather with no snow in sight.  I was really hoping for snow as we read this book, and at in the middle of the the end of the week the forecast changed and it snowed!  I couldn't have planned it any better myself.

As I was preparing for activities for this week's study, I had pinned several things on my Pinterest board.   It wasn't long after that I got a text from Julie for an offer to let me have some snowflake templates.  I didn't even have to ask!  haha.  We learned about Snowflake Bentley and made some snowflakes ourselves.
 
We also made some Star Wars snowflakes from some free templates I found online.  These were much harder to make! 

 
We learned about how snow is formed and how it doesn't take much water to form a snowflake.  Then we did an experiment.
 
  They have been waiting to try out their snowball makers we ordered last year.  There wasn't enough snow to use them this day either.
 
We made some snow globes.
 
We made some gum drop snowflakes.  I had some leftovers from Christmas I wanted to get rid of and this was a good project to use them for. 
 
In our unit study, we talked about birds and it was suggested to make a bird house of some sort.  We painted some instead.  They loved this!
Lucas came up with his design and painted all by himself.  He is my little artist.
 
I wanted to take the boys to see a snow plow so I called my brother-in-law to ask for his assistance since he works for the city.  We don't have a snow plow like the one in the book, but they boys got to see some of the equipment that we do have.
They got to see how large stop lights are actually.  They don't look this large from the ground!
 
 
 
The next day, we got even more snow!   We had fun playing in the snow with Landon too. 
There was enough snow to try out their snow ball makers!
 
 
We went to our old house to sled with the Grenz's because we don't have hills anymore. 
Paige is giving Landon an extra workout.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment