12.19.2017

First Day of School 2017

This year is the first year for all three to be in school.  Logan is in 8th, Lucas is in 5th, and Lane is in Kindergarten.  Last year I was feeling overwhelmed and concerned about how I would be able to add in Lane to the school day, so we made a few changes.  I added in some computer programs for a few subjects as well as an online self-paced class.  These changes have ended up being helpful to me with the older two having some more independence from me.   I just check periodically to make sure they are on task and doing well.

This year we also have been more structured in our school start time.  I have been rather lax about that until this year, but I really need to get started by 8:00 with at least one child.  Logan has been the responsible one to set an alarm and get started first which has just helped our whole day go smoother.

I have said this before, but homeschooling isn't for the faint at heart.  It is an incredible burden and responsibility to be the sole educator of your children.  I constantly question and doubt myself and often wonder if I am screwing up my kids.  It is humbling, trying, challenging, and some days end up with fits and tears causing me to want to throw in the towel and give up.  Then there are wonderful days where I really can catch a glimpse of the purpose of it all and am just thankful for the opportunity.  I can't speak for other homeschool moms, but we work hard every day.  It is getting more challenging as they get older due to the amount of work there is to do.  We don't sit around all day and goof off...even though they would love to do that.  They think I am a drill sergeant mom/teacher most days.  I do hope one day they will be able to see the value and understand the sacrifices made in order to provide this opportunity.

I don't feel that homeschooling is for every family.  I don't think we are better because we homeschool or look down on others for choosing a different path.  I just know this is something that God clearly placed on my heart and called me to.  Seek the Lord in the direction your family should go and He will make it clear too.








A question I often get asked sometimes is how I teach all the kids in a day.  I thought I would share a typical day's schedule....

6:20  I get up and do my personal Bible study, eat breakfast, and do a few morning chores (unload dishwasher and a load of laundry)

8:00   Logan--the big three (as he calls it):  Science, Logic, Composition (me teaching)

The time fluctuates from here so I am not going to even attempt it.  Sometimes Lucas will come down in the middle of the big three and he will do his Math lesson (independently on computer)

Lucas: Science and English (me teaching) while Logan begins his Algebra 1 lesson on the computer

Then we do combined subjects:  Bible Study, Geography, and Latin. (me teaching)

Lucas will do his Spelling program independently and finish math if not completed.  Logan will finish up his math if not yet completed.  They also do an online History class together at this time.  At this time, I do school with Lane.

Some days we get finished by around 1:00, but some days, they work until about 3:00.  It really just depends on the day and the work assigned in each subject.  They also have assigned reading to complete with questions to answer from a comprehension guide.

Our curriculum is primarily from Veritas Press except for Math which is Teaching Textbooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment