1.28.2012

Project: Nursery

When we found out we were expecting again, I was excited to get to do another nursery.  I knew very early on that I wanted the theme to be hot air balloons whether it was a boy or a girl.  I don't know why, but I have always been fascinated with hot air balloons.  I think they are whimsical and beautiful.  Someday I want to ride in one☺  It's on my bucket list. 

When I decided to do the theme in hot air ballons, I began looking for bedding.  I found NOTHING that was cute!!  I found a few blogs with some cute rooms, but they were all custom and sewn by the moms.  I also didn't find any hot air balloon material.  I have had to be creative with how exactly I was going to make a hot air balloon room.

I really wanted to make the bedding for Lucas' nursery, but we were building at the time and he didn't even have a nursery until he was nine months old.  When I had Logan, I couldn't sew, so Lane is the only one who gets an all handmade, custom room by mommy. 

I sold all of our furniture in a yard sale about a month before we found out we were expecting again, so we have had to rebuy everything. Babies are expensive, but definitely worth it!! 

I found lots of ideas on etsy.com and a few of pinterest.  I have lots of tutorials on how I made some of the things in the nursery.
My embroidery machine program isn't working right now, so I had to applique old school.  I cut out the fabric and pieced these together. 



Digital Wall Art:
I created these and had them to be printed at Wal-Mart as large prints (20x30).  I LOVE how they turned out!!

I made some burp cloths with some leftover fabric.


Because I chose brighter colors, I had some trouble finding things to match because most baby bedding and accessories are in pastels. I had to make literally everything!

I have posted several tutorials on how I made several of the things in the nursery.  A few things I didn't do tutorials on were the curtains, crib skirt, and changing pad cover. 
*Curtains are easy to make if you can sew a straight line and measure. 
*I used this tutorial on making the crib skirt with only one exception.  She used a double pleat, where I just did  a single.
*I used this tutorial for the changing pad cover.  I thought this would be a simple project, but it ended up being more complicated than I thought.  I made an orange and a yellow one, and I won't make any more of these!!  It was my least favorite project in the nursery!! 

My fabric was purchased at fabric.com
Remix Zig Zag Bermuda
Orange Stripe Citrus
Remix Dots Brown/Aqua/White
Michael Miller Ta Dot Apple
Remix Strips Bermuda



Here are links to my tutorials:
Rag Quilt Tutorial
Recovering Crib Bumpers
Mobile Tutorial
Hot Air Balloons
Canvas Letter Tutorial
Crib Sheet Tutorial
Hot Air Balloon Clock

7 comments:

  1. What an incredible nursery! You have exquisite taste and are beyond talented! I am in total awe of your work! What a loved little boy Lane is! Congratulations on your upcoming baby! Anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, Love, Love!!!! :) You did an awesome job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this so much. Do you have a tutorial on how you did the pendants? I'm wondering if for so many I should just do paper vs. fabric for a whole room like you did...would you still do the fabric if you had to do it over again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't have a tutorial on the bunting, but I used paper. My inital plan was to use fabric, but I was overwhelmed with everything else in the room. I scanned the fabric, made the banners in Photoshop Elements and printed on cardstock in my printer. I would do it this way again in a heartbeat. That took long enough, I can't imagine sewing that many for all the way around the room. Maybe only if that was the only thing I made.

      Delete
  4. I love the wall art you made and had printed at Wal-mart. Any suggestions on how to make something that size?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the art and printed at Wal-Mart on a poster (20x30). You can also print that size at many other printing companies as well. If you want these particular designs, they are for sale in my shop:

      https://www.etsy.com/listing/92658010/instant-download-hot-air-balloon-wall?ref=shop_home_active

      https://www.etsy.com/listing/95089062/instant-download-nursery-art-digital?ref=shop_home_active

      Delete
  5. Do you know what paint colors you used?

    ReplyDelete