10.17.2021

Half Marathon

 








I am so incredibly thankful for these two friends.  For the last few summers we have been putting in lots of miles each morning since we are all teachers and have more freedom in our schedules during this time of the year.  As this summer was coming to an end, I didn't want to stop running like I have the past few years. My schedule gets so full and also it is difficult to coordinate times to run together with my friends.  I thought if I planned to train for a race it would keep me running into the school year.  Thankfully, my friends joined in with me.  Sylinia and I trained the entire thing together, but Gretchen's schedule didn't allow her to run with us through the week.  However, we were able to train almost all of our longer runs together.   

On the day of the race I felt like I had prepared as much as I possibly could.  We trained on hills in Gillen and even in the long runs I felt great.  I didn't think I would have trouble finishing; however, running is humbling. On the day of the race it was not my best.  I didn't feel well and it was raining.  I had heard that this was a hilly race, but really that's an understatement.  I felt like I was either going up or down a hill almost the whole race.  I made it to about mile twelve and I turned a corner and it was going downhill.  My legs were jello and I had to stop and walk.  I wish I had a video of myself walking at this point because I felt like I had lost total control of my body.  I really thought in this moment that I might have to get a golf cart to come and pick me up.  haha.  I kept walking hoping to be able to regain some strength to finish but it was the slowest walk of my life.  I was creeping so slowly that I thought I might never get the last mile in to finish.  Gretchen and Sylinia were ahead of me and at this point I could no longer see them. I did not want to hold them back because they weren't struggling like me, but I have the best friends ever.  They turned around, came back and got me and encouraged me to run and finish.  I told them that I couldn't and they weren't taking no for an answer.  We ended up crossing together and it was such a beautiful moment to me in so many ways.  

Even though I was disappointed I couldn't run the whole thing, I am just thankful I am able to run again.  A few years ago with back issues and two back surgeries I truly wasn't sure if I would ever be able to run agin, much less train for a half marathon.   







No comments:

Post a Comment