9.24.2011

Football and a Few New Recipes

Today the boys had their first flag football game.  I tried to get Lucas to sign up when I signed Logan up but he refused.  He didn't want to get tackled and I couldn't get him to understand that you don't tackle in this league.  He finally decided he wanted to play and he cracks me up.  Since he signed up late, he didn't get his uniform when the others did.  I wish I had a video of how giddy he was this morning when he got his.  He was beside himself. 


The other team didn't have enough to play so some of our players played for the other team so they could have a ballgame.  They didn't care☺

Lucas has his game face on!

Logan SCORED!!!  Woo-hoo!


Lucas pulled one flag and was thrilled.  I was SO proud of Logan!!!  He pulled six, threw two passes that scored, and scored one touchdown.  I wish Landon could have seen it...he had an auction.


****************************
I got a message from someone this week who tried several of the recipes that I posted in I Only Have a Kitchen Cuz It Comes With the House.  That made my day!  She liked several of them and told me to feel free to post more because it planned her meals for the week.  Here are a few more that I have tried this week. 

 Baked Spaghetti

8 oz spaghetti
1 egg
24 oz canned tomato sauce
8 oz can tomato paste
1 tbs basil
1 tsp ground oregeno
12 oz cottage cheese
12 oz mozzarella cheese
1 lb ground beef
garlic salt
1 small onion (I used some frozen onions because I hate cutting them)


Cook spaghetti noodles according to package.  Drain and mix in 1 beaten egg and coat with butter spray.  Place evenly into a 9x13 pan.  Top with cottage cheese.

Brown beef, onion, garlic salt.  Add sauces and seasonings and let simmer.  Pour over spaghetti mixture.  Top with mozzerella cheese.  Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. 



Broccoli Cheese Soup (from Panera Bread)
I LOVE THIS ONE!!!  WE WILL HAVE AGAIN FOR SURE!!!

1 tbs melted butter
 1/2 medium chopped onion
1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. melted butter
2 c. half and half
2 c. chicken stock
1/2 lb fresh broccoli
1 cup carrots, julienned
1/4 tsp nutmeg (I am not going to include this next time)
8 oz cheddar cheese
salt and pepper


Saute onion in 1 tbs butter.  Set aside.  Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.  Add in half and half and chicken stock.  Simmer for 20 minutes.  Add broccoli, carrots, and onions.   Cook on low for 20-25 minutes.  Add salt, pepper, and cheese.  (also nutmeg if desired). 

I served the soup in a bread bowl with cheddar biscuits.  Landon said he wished I would have had more bread.  Ha. 



Twice Baked Potatoes

4 large russett potatoes, scrubbed clean
2 tbs butter, melted
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
4 green onions, white and green parts thinly chopped (I left this out)
1/2 c. sour cream
1/4 c. milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Pierce holes in potatoes and place in oven for an hour.  Let cool for 10-15 minutes.  Cut each potato in half lenthwise.  Use an ovenmit to hold the potato and scoop out potato into a bowl.  Leave a thin border so the skin isn't too fragile.

Mash the potato with a fork or potato masher until mostly smooth.  Stir in melted butter, 1 c. cheese, onions, sour cream, milk, salt, and pepper.  Mix well.  Scoop mixture back into the shells and sprinkle with cheese.  Move rack 3-4 inches away from broiler and cook until golden (5 minutes).



Cheese Danish (otherwise known as Heaven in Your Mouth)
from Amber Weatherly

2 pkgs crescent rolls
2-8 oz pkgs cream cheese
1 T vanilla
1 1/2 T lemon juice
2 T sour cream
3/4 c. sugar

Icing:
1 c. confectioner's sugar
1 T milk
1T butter, softened

Put layer of crescent rolls on bottom of casserole dish.  Beat together all other ingredients (excluding icing).  Spread mixture on top of crescent rolls.  Add another layer of crescent rolls.  Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.  Make topping and drizzle on top.   Serve hot or cold.  YUMMMMMMMMM!

 
Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
Put chicken breasts into crock pot.  Pour in cream of chicken and cream of mushroom.  Cook all day and about 1-2 hours before serving, add peas and carrots.  I made biscuits and served the mixture on top.  My whole family (including Lucas) loved it!  Easiest meal all week!  I must start using the crock pot more.  


Happy Saturday!

1 comment:

  1. Terri, I am so proud of you!! And, we so missed you last night. :/

    ReplyDelete