3.04.2014

Be the Moon

Last week, we finished up Logan's science curriculum on space.  I have said it before, but I'll say it again.  I learn so much when I teach them.  Maybe the second time around I'm more excited about learning, I suppose.  One thing that is much different about their education from mine is the fact that it is biblically based. As we studied about the sun, moon, stars, comets, galaxies, and each planet, we discussed how God is the Creator and how many things within space can refute evolution.  When you sit and ponder seemingly insignificant details about our planet and everything in space, I have absolutely no doubt that there is a Designer.  For instance, our planet rotates at the perfect speed.  It gives us just the right amount of hours we need of daylight and dark in order to have adequate rest that our bodies require.  Also, if it were a faster rotation, like Jupiter or others, it would create a more hostile weather environment. The distance the earth is from the sun is also crucial.  If we were any closer, even the slightest, all life would burn up.  The same if we were even slightly farther away, everything would freeze.  Atmosphere and gravity is also exactly perfect for our planet to sustain life.  I could go on and on, but I won't give a science lesson.  My point is this.  To me it's just so obvious that all of these things didn't just happen to fall into place in the perfect way.  They were put there by God, created by God.  It takes faith to believe in God, but it also takes an extreme amount of faith that everything just fell into place as well.  The more I learn about creation, the more I am in awe of God.

A few weeks ago, some friends and I went to Knoxville to see Sara Groves in concert.  I have loved her music for over a decade and when I saw she was so close, I had to go!  I didn't think it was possible, but after her concert, I loved her even more.  Her words in her songs are so powerful and move me.  I'm on the verge of obsession.  haha.  One of her songs, "You Are the Sun",  is about how our relationship to Jesus is like that of the moon and the sun.
You are the sun shining down on everyone
Light of the world giving light to everything I see
Beauty so brilliant I can hardly take it in
And everywhere you are is warmth and light

And I am the moon with no light of my own
Still you have made me to shine
And as I glow in this cold dark night
I know I can't be a light unless I turn my face to you

Shine on me with your light
Without you I'm a cold dark stone
Shine on me I have no light of my own
You are the sun, you are the sun, you are the sun
And I am the moon.

In John 8:12, Jesus said, "I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life."  Jesus is "the Light" the only light for the whole world.   Light is bright, exposes, and dispels darkness.  John 1:4-5 says, "In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men.  The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."  John 3:19-20 says, "This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil. For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed."  The Light of Jesus approves that which is right and reproves what is wrong.  Almost daily as I read things or watch the news I just shake my head and question how some are so blinded?!  The answer is clear and in His Word, which is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.  People who don't want to recognize Jesus as Lord reject the truth, the Light, and are blinded just as if they were in a room with complete darkness.  They refuse the Light.

However, believers are called to be much different.  In Matthew 5 we are told by Jesus Himself to be salt and LIGHT..."You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.  Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven."  So, believer, remember without the Light, Jesus Christ, we are a nothing but a cold, dark stone with no light of our own.  We can't be a light unless we turn our face to Him.  Shine brightly for all to see, not for ourselves, but to reflect the true Light.


*****************************************************************************

One day Jesus will return.  When He does, all things will be revealed.  Righteousness will be restored and evil will be judged.  The great Light will expose all things.  One day every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, either before they enter into eternity with Him or apart from Him.  I find it fascinating that in heaven there won't be a sun because He will be the LIGHT!!




1 comment: