12.14.2012

What a day

As many all around our country are in shock and broken hearted at the news of today's tragedy in Connecticut, my heart is heavy.  When I heard the news, one of my first thoughts was, "I'm thankful I homeschool."  However, the more I thought about that, there is nothing that I can do to protect my children fully.  This has happened in not only in schools, but malls, theaters...it could happen anywhere.  It is especially gut wrenching when you have a child that is in Kindergarten yourself and know that this is the age when so many families have had their precious, innocent child taken so violently from them forever. 

Children are a blessing, a gift from our Heavenly Father.  They are not a burden.  So, when I am tempted to get frustrated at my clumsy child (who comes by it honestly) for spilling yet another drink, or annoyed that there are toys all over my house, I need to remember that I have them here with me for now.  I need to cherish every moment and relish in the fact that God is in control over all, even when we don't understand.  His ways are not our ways, His thoughts are not our thoughts. 

I was reminded of a prayer that I read from a book many years ago when Logan was a baby.  It spoke volumes to me and it was a book that impacted my outlook on parenting early on.  This prayer is taken from Power of a Praying Parent by Stormie Omartian...

Lord,

I come to You in Jesus' name and give my children to You.  I'm convinced that You alone know what is best for them.  You alone know what they need.  I release them to You to care for and protect, and I commit myself to pray for everything concerning them that I can think of or that You put upon my heart.  Teach me how to pray and guide me in what to pray about.  Help me not to improve my own will when I'm praying for them, but rather enable me to pray that Your will be done in their life. 

Thank You that I can partner with You in raising them and that I don't have to do it alone.  I'm grateful that I don't have to rely on the world's unreliable and ever-changing methods for child rearing, but that I can have clear directions from Your Word and wisdom as I pray to You for answers.

Thank You, Lord, for the precious gift of these children.  Because Your Word says that every good gift comes from You, I know that you have given them to me to care for and raise.  Help me to do that.  Show me places where I continue to hang on to them and enable me to release them into Your protection, guidance, and counsel.  Help me not to live in fear of possible dangers, but in the joy and peace of knowing that You are in control.  I rely on You for everything, and this day I trust my children to You and release them into Your hands. 

I pray for peace and comfort to all families who are grieving tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment